Tick Tock – the bells are back!

Moretonhampstead’s church clock is once again ticking away and striking the hours and quarters after having been silent for a few years.

The clock was installed in 1937 and was originally wound by hand, but an automatic winding mechanism was installed over fifty years ago to eliminate the need for someone to climb the church tower regularly to wind the clock.  

Over the years, the clock and its winding mechanism had been maintained and repaired as necessary, but the automatic winding mechanism had become increasingly problematic as the years took their toll – with repairs becoming increasingly expensive and spare parts more difficult to source, and it became impossible to repair about three years ago and so the clock fell silent.

Since then the church and the community have been working to have the clock restored and, thanks to the generosity of the Friends of St Andrew’s and a grant of over £10,000 from Viridor Credits, the clock mechanism has been completely stripped, cleaned, repaired, rebuilt and a new automatic winding mechanism installed by church and public clock specialists Cumbria Clocks.

The church, the people of Moretonhampstead and visitors to the area are delighted that it is now ticking away again and that the bells sound out the hours and quarters from its prominent position on The Sentry in Moretonhampstead.

Click on the arrowhead (just above, on the left) to hear the chimes!

The photo below shows Luke Ridge from Coldridge, on the staff of Cumbria Clocks, working on the mechanism.